Friday, June 11, 2021

Top Five Sources of News

 My first source is PBS Newshour. I personally like this source of news because it is a good way of getting an overview of daily news. PBS in particular makes an effort to look at subjects from all angles (Republican/Democrat, for/against, etc.) They also do long term interviews, so you get a lot of detail. Lastly, they always have stories about art, culture, human interests, music, etc, to end the show on a positive note. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/

My Second source is The News with Shepard Smith. This is a more traditional news broadcast that is an hour long prime time news show that covers more subjects than the news hour. It gives a quick summary of a lot of things. It is less opinionated and biased than Fox or CNN, although sometimes he does give his opinion at times. The shows slogan is THE FACTS. THE TRUTH. I think it does a good job of living up to that, allowing me to make up my own mind. 

https://www.cnbc.com/the-news-with-shepard-smith/

My third source is the Economist. My dad has read the physical copies since college, which is how I have become exposed to it. It is a British publication so it does not have some of the biases that US publications sometimes have. It has been in existence since 1843 and covers the world, business, science, and arts. 

https://www.economist.com/

My fourth source is the Orlando Sentinel. I am from Orlando, so this is my source for local and state news. It is a reputable source that covers hurricanes, anything interesting to happen in the area, fun things to do, important names in the area/state of Florida, and more. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/

My last source is twitter. I use twitter only for news that I follow, knowing that the source I am being linked to is a reputable one. It is a good way to see a bunch of stories quickly, especially with big events. Some sources I follow on twitter are the ones I linked above plus New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Rolling Stone Magazine, etc. I like that I can see the title on twitter letting me decide if I want to click the link to that story or keep scrolling. Sometimes there are news sources I am not familiar with, and while I may glance at it, I will be skeptical. Just because it is on twitter doesn't mean it is reputable or accurate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media

  We all know social media is a double edged sword right? Even though many of us are aware of the positive and negative sides, it still affe...