Sunday, July 4, 2021

Privacy

 The discussion of privacy is becoming more prominent as we speak. The more technology evolves, the more privacy issues there are to consider and learn about. These TED TALKS opened my eyes to even more privacy issues than I knew about, and provided me with more insight on the ones I already knew existed. I enjoyed the analogy about tattoos. Tattoos tell you a lot of stories, saying a lot about a person without always having to be explained. People often think something of someone by seeing a certain tattoo, which may be correct, not correct, or close. This idea was compared to “electronic tattoos”, which could tell more about a person such as who/what they are without you having to say anything about yourself. An example of this is facial recognition, which is able to take a picture of someone, then having their name and information. 
Another discussion of privacy in the surveillance equipment industry. This allows police departments to gather a vast amount of information. I was not aware that everyone driving on the street was getting tracked by a picture being taken of their license plate, I thought it just took a picture of someone speeding or something. It can see where you are or where you are not. I would assume that when a picture of your license plate is taken, other information comes along with that. According to the TED talk, someone can make a good idea of who you are based on that information. The information is converted prom the license plate into readable text. I was not aware that everyone's information is being kept in records by local police. Another example of surveillance equipment that I find interesting is the stingray that sends tracking signals inside people's houses to their phones. Something I have always heard people talk about is other people being able to listen in on a conversation, or that our phones are listening to us. The part that makes me feel uneasy about that is someone you really don’t want listening could be. 
I agree that some of this technology definitely comes with a cost and can go beyond just protecting us. Our ciber civil rights definitely need to be looked over as technology continues to grow, and it is hard to know what/what lines need to be drawn. A lot of times it is a double edged sword, and there will be good and bad that comes with all of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media

  We all know social media is a double edged sword right? Even though many of us are aware of the positive and negative sides, it still affe...